Statistics on the places of worship of Romania
In 2003 the program of recording the places of worship in Romania started. In April 2014, the database of the places of worship included more than 18,425 locations, as follows:
Of these the distribution of the places of worship on counties goes as follows:
We mention that this inventory is far from being completed and we hope that next year we will be able to continue this record on a national level. The Romanian Orthodox Church, represented by the Orthodox places of worship, accounts for 70% of all the places of worship under the current inventory, while 30% represent the places of worship officially recognized in Romania.
The Romanian Orthodox Church is administratively divided into 5 Metropolitan seats that include:
- the Metropolitan Seat of Muntenia and Dobrudja (counties: Argeş, Bucureşti, Braşov, Buzău, Călăraşi, Constanţa, Dâmboviţa, Galaţi, Giurgiu, Ilfov, Ialomiţa, Prahova, Tulcea, Teleorman, Vrancea)
- the Metropolitan Seat of Oltenia (Dolj, Gorj, Mehedinţi, Olt, Vâlcea)
- the Metropolitan Seat of Banat (Arad, Hunedoara, Caraş Severin, Timiş)
- the Metropolitan Seat of Ardeal, Covasna and Harghita (Braşov, Covasna, Harghita, Sibiu)
- the Metropolitan Seat of Cluj, Alba, Crişana and Maramureş (Alba, Bihor, Bistriţa Năsăud, Cluj, Maramureş, Mureş, Sălaj, Satu Mare)
- the Metropolitan Seat of Moldova and Bucovina (Bacău, Botoşani, Iaşi, Neamţ, Suceava, Vaslui).